At the 2010 Network of International Circus Educators Conference in Berlin, Circus Mojo’s Creator, Paul Miller, met Circusplaneet’s Coördinator, Matthias Vermael. An innovator, free thinker and showman, Vermael introduced Miller to BIRCUS, an idea sparked from the desire to eschew government funding in pursuit of circus autonomy. Fancy that! These kindred spirits bonded over a couple BIRCUS beers and planned to bring this big-top idea stateside. Miller licensed the concept and set forth to expand the Ludlow Theatre into a brewery connected to local history, community outreach, unique entertainment and stellar beer.
In 2015 Miller purchased equipment made in California by New World Brewing Systems in October of 1996, the month and year he proposed to “Gourmet” Renée, his wife of 18 years and namesake of the LLC. It was fate: love, circus and beer. The brewing system consists of a 5 barrel brewhouse, three 10 barrel fermenters and three 10 barrel bright tanks. Each tank has a glycol jacket and there is a glycol storage unit in matching stainless.
• Poured our first beer for sale in our parking lot 3/14/2018. That November we opened our adjacent 25 seat tasting room.
• Began distribution in NKY with Chas Seligman in 2018.
• In November 2019, the Historical Ludlow Theatre reopened with the Bircus Brewing Co. serving craft beer and Circus Mojo providing circus acts.
• 17th Star Distribution began delivering our beer into Ohio in 2019.
• November 2020 we converted our former tasting room into a commercial kitchen and with the help of Chef Michal Cusumano launched wood fired pizzas.